OPEN LETTER TO OUR LEADERS AND STAKEHOLDERS IN RESPECT OF THE SPONTANEOUS INCIDENTS OF KIDNAPPING IN KANAM
I am writing as a concerned indigene of Kanam. About five months ago, our Local Government Area has witnessed the following incidents of kidnapping;
- A Fulani Woman around the bush surrounding Kwalmiya, Gyambar, Bungudu areas around February 2020.
- Wife of Tafidan Ghal, (Younger brother to Hon. Gagdi Yusuf) in Gum-Gagdi on 16/03/2020.
- Isiaka Garba Birni, he was kidnapped while taking the ransom for the release of the wife of Tafidan Ghal on the 26/03/2020
- The Pankwal Bogghom at his Palace in Namaran on 20/04/2020
- Dr. Idi Bukdah at his house in Zungum on 06/06/2020
- The wife of Alh. Awal Ja’oji at his house in Runji on 20/7/2020
- Mr. Ibrahim Kafi, a great philanthropist at his house in Gum-Gagdi on 10/80/2020
- Malan Muhammad Maikudi at his house in the early hours of today in Dengi town on 13/08/2020
- Alh. Umar Hayi in Dengi town on 16/08/2020
A careful study of the interval of period for every case of kidnapping revealed that in every month there would be one of two cases of the incidence. Now is getting on weekly basis.
In every incidence, huge amount of money in millions were lost for ransom. This is further aggravating the poverty of our people.
Some of the kidnapped persons are still in captivity because the ransom have not been secured.
The need for security is considered to be the most important basic needs among other needs as outlined by many philosophers. Every human being or living organisms are product of a sustained security enjoyed from the womb, childhood, adolescent and old age.
We need security to grow, prosper, make good things work and worship God. Shelter and other necessity of life are all inconsequential in the mid of serious security challenge.
Food security is also part of the components of security challenges and if this kidnapping continue, our farmers in the rural areas would not be spared and we will suffer food insecurity. The end effect of this inflicted calamity would be hunger as well as lost of business men and women. Therefore the importance of security cannot be overemphasize Sir.
Given the reoccurrence of the incidents of kidnapping in Kanam LGA, we wish to sincerely appeal to the following leaders to as a matter of urgency and compassion come to the rescue of the people of Kanam before things get out of hand:
- The Executive Governor of Plateau State.
- The Senator Representing Plateau Central District.
- Hon. Member Representing Pankshin, Kanke and Kanam Federal Constituency PLHA.
- The Deputy Speaker and Member Representing Dengi Constituency PLHA
- Hon. Member Representing Kantana Constituency.
- The Acting Chairman Kanam Local Government Council.
- The President Kanam Traditional Council.
- Religious leaders. Call for special prayers and fasting. The Emir of Kanam may wish to invite the religious leaders for a meeting with the view to declare two or three days of fasting and prayers for divine intervention against this menace.
- Leaders of youth groups to organize special programs that will help in curbing this menace.
- Our social media activists in Kanam to please for the sake of this ugly trend in Kanam, dedicate all our social media activism on the issues of kidnapping in Kanam and how to get out of the situation.
- We are appealing to all security agencies and concern citizens of Nigeria resident anywhere who have what it takes to please come to our help to get out of this serious security challenge facing us with crippling effects on our socioeconomic wellbeing.
While we will do everything possible within our reach to reach out to the concerned leaders mentioned above, we wish to appeal to all other critical stakeholders in Kanam Project to rise above board as we chant community measures to confront this menace head long.
May Allah in His infinite mercy and compassion help our people out of this painful trial. May Allah expose anyone who directly or indirectly is involved in the planing, execution and perpetuation of this ugly incidents of kidnapping.
ND Shehu Kanam
Community and Rural Development Advocate.